Monday, October 8, 2007

Shetland Breeding Groups

Since I was feeling sorry for myself all weekend that I was not down in Vancouver at the dog show plus we are missing the family Thanksgiving Dinner in Vancouver tonight, Dennis decided to cheer me up with "lets put the Shetland breeding groups together!". Now I was smiling again.

We spent 7 hours yesterday catching, penning, evaluating, vetting and moving in to 5 different fields, paddocks or pens the ewes and rams. I can spend 6 months planning and replanning and putting down on paper which ewe goes to which ram for which reason only to chance my mind at the very last minute who goes where. But it is done.......4 Shetland groups and 1 Shetland/Gotland/Finn cross group. Oh, I almost forgot, one NCC ram in with 3 of my largest Shetland ewes. I was so impressed with Theresa G's NC Cheviot crosses that I had to try it here. That actually makes 6 different groups. No wonder we are tired today..........
Above is a photo taken at he beginning of August of Fibre Works Hebrides - a gorgeous coloured, crimpy, fine fleeced mioget ram who has 5 lovely ewes in with him this fall. I just love the mioget colour!
Over the next few days, I will share some of the other rams in the other groups.






3 comments:

Michelle said...

Nice to get in on a blog at the start, when it's easy to start at the beginning and then stay caught up on the news from a farm; I enjoy visiting the various blogs of Shetland breeders.

Sure sorry about your young ram. I have a very small flock, only plan to keep one ram AND I'm trying to move in the direction of polled genetics. All of this in part because of the damage potential of rams.....

Feel free to visit my Boulderneigh blog!

Tina T-P said...

Hello from Bellingham WA! What a beautiful place you have! We're looking forward to hearing more about your farm. Hope you will visit our blog too. T.

Franna said...

Hi Beth and Dennis!
Welcome to blogging :-)
What a shame about your emsket ram :-(
I'm looking forward to more news and photos... 5 months and lambs!
- Franna